[Solved] Fingerprint Reader Not Working in Windows 10
We can login in the laptop by using a fingerprint. It is an easier way than using the password to reboot the computer. You can run Windows system by touching your finger to the fingerprint reader after you press the power switch.
But sometimes, after you upgrade your system from Windows 7, 8 to Windows 10, the Windows 10 cannot recognize the fingerprint. So you must reboot your computer with password. This will change the use of computer habits.
Solution 1: Open Windows Biometric Service
The windows biometric service gives client applications the ability to capture, compare, manipulate, and store biometric data without gaining direct access to any biometric hardware or samples. So we need to make sure the Windows biometric service is in running status.
1. Click Win + R to open the Run window, and type service.msc to open the services application.
2. In services list, find Windows Biometric Service, right-click it and choose Properties.
3. In the properties window, set the startup type as Automatic (Delayed Start) or Automatic.
In service status settings, click Start to run the service.
If this cannot help to fix your problem, try to check whether the biometric service related services are running or not. You can follow the step 4 to check it.
4. Locate to Dependencies tab, and expand all the system components.
Here you will find the related services, and return to the services list to run all these services.
Solution 2: Update Biometric Sensors Drivers
1. Open device manager.
2. Expand Biometric devices and find sensors devices such as validity sensors.
3. Right-click it and choose Uninstall to delete the validity sensors.
Click OK to confirm device is uninstalled.
4. Click Scan for hardware changes on toolbar and windows will rescan the device again. It will automatically install drivers for the sensor device.
Of course, windows automatically will not help to update driver every time. Actually, when you compare the previous version with this version, you will find it is the same version. So you can use Driver Doctor to help you find the latest version of drivers.
Driver Doctor is a professional driver issue fixing tool. This software can help update the outdated drivers, find missing drivers and fix driver problem easily.
Using this software to download and update all drivers will be easier. Driver Doctor will help to scan all the devices. It will detect the driver manufacturer, release date, driver version and provide the new version for you.
You can download all drivers and install them one by one.
Solution 3: Cancel Power Management
After you enter the computer from sleep mode, the fingerprint cannot work. I think maybe you need to reset the power management.
Open device manager, expand biometric device and find the validity sensors. Right-click it and choose Properties.
Locate at Power Management, and non-select the option: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Of course, there are other reasons you need to consider:
1. Maybe you need to enter the BIOS to check if the Biometric device is turned on or not.
2. If this error is caused by your installing or updating other devices, maybe you can try to uninstall them and solve this problem by updating Windows.
3. If you are using HP laptop, make sure the HP SimplePass is updated.